Folks Who Like Them Some ME!!

Thursday, January 05, 2012

Lesson Of The Day: AIDS/HIV Virus

Keeping It Real: The Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) is the virus that causes AIDS (Auto Immune Deficiency Syndrome). Many people who have HIV do not know that they are infected; for this reason it is important to get tested for HIV if you are sexually active or at risk for HIV in other ways. 

I have a personal friend who I grew up with, who has had the Virus for over 10 years! When I 1st learned he had the Virus, I was at a wedding reception and when he walked in, it was like Moses parting the Red Sea! UNREAL!! I was in my hometown and was living 40 minutes away, so I hadn't heard he was sick. I knew from when he was a teenager and he used to be my dance partner ( we won many contests) that he was homosexual! So I went to him, hugged him and said what's up? One of my family members, came and rudely pulled me away and said, haven't you heard, he has AIDS!! I was like what?, BUT it never took away the fact, that this man was my FRIEND, MY BUDDY, my dancing partner for years and I had watched Linda Evans on Dynasty hug and share kisses with Rock Hudson who died of AIDS with no complications from it! I told my sister to let go of my arm and went back to my friend, while people just stared and pointed! I finally said, IT IS NOT CONTAGIOUS! You can't get it by hugging, talking, mingling or even standing by a person infected with the disease! How ignorant can you all be? Long story, short, he and I are still friends to this day and yes he does still have the virus!    

The best way to avoid being infected with HIV sexually is to avoid any sexual activity that involves blood, semen or vaginal fluids. If you are sexually active you can reduce your risk of infection by reducing your number of partners, only engaging in sexual activity with someone who does not have HIV. Use a latex or polyurethane condom or barrier each time you engage in sexual activity. If you use injection drugs you should never share needles and you should disinfect them with each use. Remember that HIV is transmitted in blood, semen, vaginal fluids and breast milk, so to reduce your risk you should avoid contact with these fluids.


People need to get educated about STDs and Venereal diseases or better yet, PROTECT YOURSELF, Use CONDOMS!!!! Ya Dig?...

2 comments:

  1. I was 17 years old when my real father died from HIV. I never knew what he had passed away from until I came across some old papers my grandmother had in a box with his things. She had always told me that he had passed from cancer until that day. On his death certificate read: Cause of Death: HIV complications. So I agree with you Tonya. HIV / AIDS is not a joke. Its just too much information out here not to be smart and educate ourselves as well as our children. You don't want to be one of those down the road saying to yourself: If only I could have took the time or I wish I had. We must always stay protected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Tash! My niece is like 15 and I read on her FB stat about how she doesn't want to be around or near them which led me to make this lesson!

    ReplyDelete