Folks Who Like Them Some ME!!

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Lesson Of The Day: StepMothers & StepFathers...

Keeping It Real: If you are a stepparent, are you the Carol & Mike Brady of The Brady Bunch ORRRRRR Cinderella's stepmother & the movie, Stepfather?


I am a stepchild to someone and I was a stepmother! My ex-stepson, which is my children's brother, TO THIS DAY, still call me Stepmomma Toni! His father & I have been apart for over 10 years and divorced over 6 years! Why?, because I treated him like my OWN child! I was the typical Carol Brady, EVEN THOUGH, this child was born during my marriage! I stayed with his father, almost 5 years after his birth and this young man, because he is an adult now, still loves me, treats and gives me the utmost respect! Wasn't his fault, my ex cheated and his mother decided to have child because she got pregnant!

My stepmother, when I was growing up, because my parents divorced when I was like 7 years old, was the Cinderella of all Cinderella's stepmothers! I DESPISED this woman as a child and all the way into my adulthood! I made no qualms about letting her and anybody that wanted hear, know, how my mother's 9 children were treated by this woman! I DID NOT LIKE her and knew she didn't like me! Wasn't a secret! I never disrespected her, because I was taught to respect my elders! BUT, I didn't bite my tongue, either! You know how you can get somebody told without cussing or being really disrespectful, well that was me!  She made my life a living hell growing up and my Father didn't make it any better! 

Flash forward: A few years ago, we had a family meeting and she apologized for all the things that were said and done to us as children! I accepted her apology, now I am not saying, everything is peaches and cream between us, but when you make amends and know better, you do better, right? God is not through with us yet, it's been a long time coming, but a change is gonna come! :) We had some good times, but the bad times outweigh the good, by far! I can say, she has taken care of my Father, been there for him through thick & thin, sickness and health! I take my hat off and COMMEND her for the last 10 years, because my Father has Alzheimer and it has been rough! 

It is not written in stone, that when you enter into an agreement ( marriage, shacking up) and it comes with a package, that you can not and should not treat the package with care! Same people you treat with disdain, may be the same people you need as you get older! You never know who God is going to send you a Blessing through! Ya Dig?...         

No comments:

Post a Comment